Learn more about the 8 steps to build BowTie diagrams, and the benefits of using BowTies for qualitative risk management...
Learn more about the benefits of using BowTieXP for more than just qualitative risk management...
|BowTieXP & Investigator 3 Software Downloads
Software enquiries and downloads.
|BowTieXP Document and Instructional Video Library
Comprehensive resources. More documents and links will be added regularly, supporting the extensive use of BowTieXP methodology and software.
|BowTieXP Risk Assessment Master Classes
Training in BowTie methodology and BowTieXP software is available at one of our public events, or can be delivered for your organisation. See event details and register online.
There are many ways to assess risk, but few match the elegance and simplicity of the bow-tie methodology, which is rapidly becoming one of the most popular approaches to risk assessment. It allows even relatively inexperienced risk professionals to quickly develop useful risk assessments. More experienced professionals can gain insights into risk control that are not found by more traditional methods.
BowTie models complement the James Reason risk model, and provide a simple, graphical representation of the relationship between the causes and consequences of business upsets, the control measures in place and depending on the software tool used, the tasks, procedures, responsible individuals and competencies which support and enforce the controls.
BowTies have 8 basic elements: Hazard, Top Event, Threats (causes), Consequences (outcomes), Threat Barriers (controls on the left), Recovery Measures (controls on the right), Defeating Factors (may be linked to any control, describing how the control can fail) and Defeating Factor Controls (measures to then maintain the control). The left side of the diagram shows the threats and the threat barriers (controls) in a form similar to that of a fault tree. The right hand side shows the consequences and the recovery preparedness barriers (mitigation controls) similar to an event tree. The level of risk associated with each consequence can be assigned according to the organisation’s risk matrix.
BENEFITS OF USING BOWTIES
- CLEAR COMMUNICATION
- AUDITABLE TRAIL
- LOGICAL STRUCTURED APPROACH
- 99% FAT FREE - PURE RISK MANAGEMENT
- EARLY CAPTURE OF LOSS OF CONTROL
- DEMONSTRATES THE ROUTES TO INCIDENTS
- HOW CONTROLS FAIL AND ARE MAINTAINED
- WORKFORCE INVOLVEMENT
RPS can now provide the services of BowTieXP software (under licence) to our clients requiring a risk management process. BowTieXP is a recently released system that applies the latest concepts in risk management to the widely accepted and proven Bowtie methodology. It supports and extends the AS/NZS 4360 Risk Management standard, currently accepted as the world's premier risk management standard.
Many of our clients will be familiar with BowTie diagrams. The BowTieXP methodology demonstrates how well an organisation is managing its risks. BowTieXP models provide a simple, graphical representation of the relationship between the causes and consequences of business upsets, the control measures in place and the tasks, procedures, responsible individuals and competencies which support and enforce the controls.
The left side of the diagram shows the threats and the threat barriers (controls) in a form similar that of a fault tree. The right hand side shows the consequences and the recovery preparedness barriers (mitigation controls) similar to an event tree. The level of risk associated with each consequence can be assigned according to the organisation’s risk matrix.
Using BowTieXP the barriers can be categorised by Basic Risk Factors (BRFs) / General Failure Types (GFTs) as described by James Reason and noted in the Australian Safety Case Guidelines. The barriers can be linked to specific sections or procedures of the organisation’s safety management system, can have responsibilities and inspection frequency assigned, and be ranked and colour coded for effectiveness. The diagram below represents a simple Bow Tie diagram.
The BowTie can also show escalation factors that can weaken the effectiveness of a barrier, and the controls required for each escalation factor. The diagram below is a more complex BowTie with several escalation factors for the threats.
BowTieXP can be used for all hazards an organisation may be exposed to, from major accident events through occupational and environmental risks, to business, IT and security risks.
BowTieXP can be used to:
- Develop a safety case. The BowTieXP methodology is an effective way of demonstrating that an organisation’s risks are reduced to as low as reasonably practicable (ALARP) without the over-reliance on quantitative risk assessment (QRA) that has been apparent in the past. Barriers can be categorised by GFTs as recommended in the Australian NOPSA (offshore petroleum industry) Safety Case Guidelines. Several regulators in Europe are already accepting the output of BowTieXP as a demonstration of ALARP and the methodology satisfies many of the requirements of the Safety Case Guidelines. The Advanced version of BowTieXP is the only product that meets the requirements of the IADC (Intl Association of Drilling Contractors).
- Conduct HAZID Workshops. BowTieXP diagrams are an effective means of systematically identifying hazards and assessing the control barriers, promoting discussion, graphically demonstrating that barriers are in place to reduce the risk to ALARP and documenting the HAZID results.
- Maintaining a Hazard Register. BowTieXP diagrams provide a simple, easily understood and readily updated representation of the hazards involved in an organisation’s activities and the measures taken to control the risk. It also provides a direct link between the Hazard Register and safety critical tasks and therefore provides the backbone for the safety management system.
- Support of JHA/JSA Process. BowTieXP diagrams can assist work teams preparing JHAs by ensuring adequate hazard controls are identified and in place.
- Training. BowTieXP diagrams can be printed in full colour, A1 size posters for use as training aids and a means of communicating HSE issues. As BowTieXP diagrams are easy to understand all members of the workforce can participate in the process.
- A fully featured 30 day evaluation copy can be downloaded. Activation keys may be requested below or on the Downloads page.
Please see the Downloads page or click here for more information.
“RPS did an outstanding job implementing our SMS and getting Safety Case approval. Terrific hands-on support.”
Operations Engineer, Atwood Falcon